Meals 4 Kids Program Coordinator
Job Title:Â Program Coordinator Hours:Â 20hrs/week (Mon, Wed & Fri) Location:Â Resource Center FLSA Status: Non-exempt Reports to: Program Director Pay Grade: $13-15 per hour DOE Meals on Wheels People Since 1970, Meals on Wheels People has provided a nutritional and social lifeline for seniors through 30 dining centers across Multnomah, Washington, and Clark Counties and Meals on Wheels delivery to homebound seniors.Â With the help of more than 5,300 volunteers, the nonprofit organization now serves 5,700 meals daily and more than 1.3 million meals each year.Â Meals on Wheels People has received funding from the Portland Childrenâ€™s Levy to offer the Meals 4 Kids program, home delivery of culturally-appropriate, nutritious dinners to families in need. General Summary Responsible for the coordination of the Meals 4 Kids program which includes: client intake, needs assessment and counseling for eligible clients; coordination and distribution of meals to client homes; recruitment, training and supervision of program volunteers; coordination of inventory tracking and delivery of meals for the program; maintenance of accurate records for clients and volunteers. Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
Education & Knowledge
- Schedule home visits with referred families within 5 business days of referral to assess eligibility for meals; to introduce the program, and to assess the need for other services. Conduct annual re-assessments as assigned.
- Manage the on-time delivery of meals to participants following all standards developed by Meals on Wheels People
- Schedule appropriate number of volunteer drivers for each route weekly
- Maintain route books with accurate delivery information on participants; make adjustments as needed. Provide drivers with specific instructions and maps
- Follow up on participants if driver is unable to deliver the meal
- Alert referring partners and/or case managers as necessary regarding needs of recipients
- Complete all necessary reports and records for including: daily tally of meals delivered; weekly estimate of meals needed for following week; intake of new recipient information; recording of volunteer hours
- Perform meal delivery duties for routes lacking volunteer coverage
- Recruit, screen, train and recognize appropriate number of volunteers to meet program needs
- Follow all guidelines to create and maintain a safe work environment
- Maintain compliance with all governmental regulations and contracts
- Ensure Meals on Wheels People property and inventories are properly maintained and secured
- Ensure number of meal deliveries comply with program operating budget
- Maintain effective communication with Central Kitchen, program staff and community referral partners.
- Other duties as assigned
Skills, Abilities & Experience
- Associate Degree or two years work experience or education in Human Resources, Psychology, Gerontology, Management, Social Work, Community Nutrition, or other related field.
- One year of experience in a management position.
- Knowledge of food service procedures and current Oregon Food Handlerâ€™s Card ServSafe Certification or ability to obtain one through Meals on Wheels People certification program
- Knowledge of hunger relief services and resources preferred
Working Conditions/Physical Demands Fast paced, with significant people interaction. Travel throughout Portland Metro area required to perform job duties. Ability to climb stairs and move about on city streets. May be required to lift up to 50lb. Frequent reaching, bending, stooping and lifting up to 20lbs.Â Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, 10 key and phone. Must pass drug and alcohol test and criminal background check. Disclaimer The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification.Â It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.Â This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise; employment in this job is an â€œat willâ€ employment relationship. To Apply Email cover letter, resume and completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 503-736-6322 or apply online at www.mealsonwheelspeople.org.Application forms and job descriptions are available at www.mealsonwheelspeople.org or at Meals on Wheels People, Resource Center, 7710 SW 31st Avenue, Portland, OR.
- Bilingual English/Spanish or English/Chinese strongly preferred
- Minimum one year of experience in a management position with ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Proven success in a fast-paced environment and ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities
- Strong ability to problem solve and implement solutions
- Experience working with diverse client populations, including minority and low-income populations
- Ability to communicate with effectively with diverse populations
- Proven experience to effectively recruit, manage, engage and retain volunteers
- Proficient in computer applications and MS Office including, Outlook, Word and Excel
- Ability to quickly learn new computer programs; experience with client data management systems preferred
- Strong recordkeeping and organizational skills
- Passion for hunger relief and feeding children and families in our community
- Vehicle and valid driver license and insurance required to perform job duties
- Candidate must successfully pass the Meals on Wheels People adopted pre-employment Drug & Alcohol test and criminal background check.